Saturday, May 26, 2012

Homemade Floor Cleaner (Non-toxic)

With two people and five greyhounds, you can imagine how often I have to clean our kitchen floor. For awhile I used a Swifter, but I was always bothered by the waste of having to throw away the pads and plastic bottles (they are not made out of a plastic that is recycled where I live). I went shopping around and found this "mop" with reusable/washable pads. I have three pads and soak them in a bucket with water and oxygen bleach after each use, then I throw them in with my weekly laundry and let them air dry.


Of course, I don't want to just use some chemical laden cleaner on my floors...my dogs walk on it and lick their feet. I did some research, messed around with different recipes and came up with what works for us. Eventually it will be completely toxin, chemical free, once I use up all the dish detergent that I have stocked up. I will switch to castile soap, a plant-based, all-natural soap.


Kat's Floor Cleaner:
1 cup vodka (cheap is fine)
1-1/4 cup water
1 t dish soap
10 drops lemon essential oil
10 drops tea tree oil (antiseptic, anti fungal)
5 drops cinnamon oil (because I like the way it smells!)

Mix all together in the container of the mop. This usually lasts me about two-three weeks worth of "mopping" every other day. Let me know if you have questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment