Friday, July 13, 2012

Timed Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


I've been thinking a lot lately about "convenience foods".  I understand that most people have much higher and many more time demands than I do, but does it really take that long to make stuff from scratch?  I decided to time myself today while I prepped a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies.  I did not include the baking time or the amount of time the butter was sitting out softening.  I also wanted a fairly accurate time, so I didn't set anything out in preparation (other than the butter), and I didn't rush at all.

It took me 12 minutes and 18 seconds to make the dough for the oatmeal raisin cookies.  That time included getting everything out of the cupboards, putting the items away when I was done with each of them (yep, I clean as I go), using my arms instead of a mixer, and trying to mash up little bits of hardened brown sugar.

Is 12 minutes and 18 seconds worth it to me in order to ensure that James has a yummy batch of homemade oatmeal raisin cookies (his favorite and I don't touch them) with no added preservatives in it...you bet! Plus, James says they taste a ton better than any kind of store bought or out of a box mix cookie!

Hmmm...I feel a brownie mix vs. homemade brownie comparison coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment