Sorry for the bad pictures, I didn't use my good camera and the lighting wasn't the greatest.
Here's a picture of what it looks like sliced. Yes, the plate is dirty, we just used our dinner plates for dessert as well. Keeping it real.
Here's what we can say about the cake: It isn't a bad cake but it isn't the best cake either. We thought it would be better with ice cream and that it wasn't sweet enough. Kind of tasted like a chocolate bread with chocolate ganache on top. If I make it again, I will add another 1/4 cup sugar and switch to milk chocolate for the ganache.
The other thing I did not like about this recipe was that it used so many bowls. I felt like every sentence used a new bowl.
Chocolate Marble Cake
1-3/4 cups cake flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
2/3 c plain, whole-milk yogurt (I substituted sour cream)
2 T whole milk (I used 2%)
1/2 t vanilla
8 T unsalted butter, at room temp
3/4 c sugar
3 large eggs, at room temp
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t instant coffee powder
1/4 c heavy cream
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mist a 9x5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate small bowl, whisk yogurt, milk and vanilla.
2. In a large bowl (up to 3 bowls now), using an electric mixer, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add half of the flour mixture, then yogurt mixture, then remaining flour mixture, beating after each addition until nearly combined. Remove 1 cup of batter to a medium bowl (4th bowl).
3. Pour 1/4 cup boiling water into a small bowl (5th bowl). Whisk in cocoa and instant coffee until smooth; let cool slightly. Add to batter in medium bowl; stir to combine.
4. Alternate spoonfuls of vanilla and chocolate batters in loaf pan. Draw a knife through batters for a marbled effect. Bake cake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool on rack 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
5. Place cream in a microwavable cup or bowl (I used a measuring cup otherwise this would have been the sixth bowl). Microwave until hot, about 25 seconds. Add chocolate chips. Let stand for 2 minutes; stir until smooth. Let cool to room temp and then drizzle over cake.
Do you see what I mean about the number of bowls...crazy! Happy eating!