Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Homemade Vanilla Extract


Homemade vanilla extract is SO EASY to make!  I wish I would have known how easy it is many years ago.  It is also much more concentrated so you can use half of what a recipe recommends (unless you just love the flavor of vanilla) so the extract lasts longer. 

Many of you know that I have never had an alcoholic drink, not one in all of my years, so it was an adventure to try to buy vodka.  Thankfully you really only need the cheap stuff.

Pictured above is everything you need to make homemade vanilla extract.  Make sure to use a glass jar instead of plastic so that the jar isnt' stained and plastic chemicals don't leach into the vanilla.

Homemade Vanilla Extract

about 40 vanilla beans (I ordered mine from Olive Nation and they are super quality vanilla beans.)
1 quart cheap vodka

1.  Cut the vanilla beans down the length of the bean to expose the little vanilla bean goodness in the pods.
2.  Place the beans in the bottom of a large glass jar and top with vodka.
3.  Place jar in a dark place and leave it there for about 6 months.  I usually swirl the contents once a week or so.

As suggested by my new sister-in-law, I will be giving some people some homemade vanilla for Christmas presents.  I'm enjoying my last batch and looking forward to the new one!  I feel some baking coming on!

No comments:

Post a Comment